POSITION: MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN
RESPONSIBLE TO: Medical Office Manager
SALARY: Step Range: 9 ($34,912) – 28 ($61,218); Full Benefits
CLASSIFICATION: Non-management, Full-Time, Regular
LOCATION: Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services Wellness Center, Chiloquin, Oregon
BACKGROUND: P.L. 101-630 Level
Download Full Position Description (.pdf) For Medical Records Tech
The Medical Records Technician will be responsible for coordinating and maintaining the Image Control System (ICS); retrieving reference information for users; and for maintaining statistical data, logs and indexes to provide current status of information in the electronic medical record (EMR) system.
This position will assist in the development, implementation and operation of the NextGen Image Control System; working within accordance with established federal laws and I H S medical records management policies, including document imaging, retention, and protection of records, forms and other documents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and analyze medical records for completeness before scanning documents into the Image Control System.
- Sort, classify, index, scan patient’s medical records into electronic format.
- Assist in the data entry of patients’ past medical histories (medication, allergies, social history) into the electronic medical record.
- Direct incoming faxes; assign document to either patient record or employee.
- Assign/re-direct unmatched incoming electronic lab test results to patient record.
- Assists the Electronic Health Records Coordinator in the set up new file formats, templates and volumes, as necessary.
- Accumulate and maintain statistical data and/or perform special research; obtaining, verifying and gathering data, as directed.
- Access, compile and issue requested records and information for designated users.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of an accurate charge-out and follow-up system for material charged up to users.
- Assist with the design and maintenance of an appropriate information system, to allow for the tracking of documents in the document Image Control System.
- Provide training to users of the Image Control System, as needed.
- Assist with the development of quality control procedures for all medical record keeping practices; and maintain quality control procedures to ensure the integrity of the information stored in the Image Control System.
- Maintain and properly control all documents stored in the Image Control System. Responsible for maintaining the security of all documents and files kept in the department.
- Comply with I H S and AAAHC standards as they pertain to medical records management practices at Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of an efficient storage system for controlling the protection, use, maintenance and reproduction of Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services medical records.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Electronic Medical Records Image Control System designed to meet I H S established record management practices.
- Assist in the development of the Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services and department policies and procedures and disaster plan.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all medical records; in accordance with the Privacy Act, HIPAA, I H S regulations and AAAHC standards.
- Attend meetings or proceedings; including staff meetings and training sessions as required.
- Serve as back-up in all clinic administrative functions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.